The Last Day

It was the last day, last dive and last night on the boat.  The rule is you can’t dive 24 hours before you fly, so I had to be out of the water for good by 8:30 a.m.  My last dive was Hafsa Thila,  I literally dropped into schools of fish, Yellow Backed and Neon Fusilier and Red-toothed Triggerfish.  There were four Red Scorpion Fish, once again the kind that blend into teh scenery and hard to see.  We had been wathcing White Tip Reef Sharks when I noticed the first one and one of the sharks was running around with a  line hanging out of the side of  his mouth.  There was also a small white Paper Scorpion Fish difficult to see with the background of white rocks.  I also saw a male Black Box Fish, which is blue with yellow spots, instead of the female which is black with white spots.  Very colorful.  It was a nice last dive and my longest dive, one hour and still 40 bar of air left.  Yee haw!

The rest of the group was leaving a day later, so they could go on a second dive.   I wasn’t able to so I went snorkling instead.  Adham was my escort and kept watch from the speedboat, I was out for about 3o minutes and got back in time to greet the incoming divers and participate in the equipment wash. 

We were headed back to Male and we had the option of seeing some of the city.  I went into town with Austrians and Thomas, we saw the presidential palace, the oldest Mosque in the Maldives made from coral and the market and the fish market.   I wanted to find a PADI book, but the soccer chamionship between the Maldives and India was on, so everything closed early and by the time I found the PADI shop it was closed.  I ended up buying a water and a Milo, which is a chocolate malt drink that everyone told me was very popular and that I’ve never had before.  I managed to spill it all over my pants.  It was good, it wasn’t spectacular. 

Mystery Fruit

I also ran into a mystery fruit in the market, would love to know if anyone can identify it.   We returned to the boat around 6:00 p.m. and the football game was still on.  Unfortunately, the Maldives lost.  I was super tired and I started to fall asleep on the couch in the common room.  I went downstairs to pack and fell asleep again.  So I gave up and went to bed.   I left the next morning at 6:30 a.m. to catch my 8:55 flight back to Doha, Doha to Amman, overnight in Amman and then back to Basra.  By the end I had ulcers on my hands from pulling on my wetsuit, ulcers on my feet from the fins, an ulcer on my skin graft from the wet suit and I was pretty sure I had an inner ear infection.  But I had a great time and I would highly recommend the Black Pearl to anyone. 

Fish Market


Leaving the Maldives

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to The Last Day

  1. Rob says:

    Pandan, I think.

  2. Kari Dean says:

    WOW!!! what an amazing trip T!! You have inspired me to scuba someday! How did you ever remember all the names of al the fish you saw?

  3. Rob P. says:

    I assume I got moderated out because I wasn’t clear in what I was trying to say (certainly wasn’t offensive). I think the mystery fruit is a pandan, if you’re talking about the green and red thing on the far side of the cooler.

    • tianatozer says:

      No I didn’t moderate you at all my apologies, I was in the middle of moving from Iraq to Sudan. Sorry about that.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s